You can help shape South Australia's new Climate Change Strategy.
What is being decided?
We want your feedback on a series of climate change consultation papers to help inform the development of a new Climate Change Strategy for South Australia. These papers set the scene for the current and future issues that will affect the state, the actions already being undertaken by the Government, and some ideas for how we might respond to climate change in the future.
The South Australian Government’s vision is for a state with a low carbon, resilient economy, advanced manufacturing and green technologies that attract investment, drive innovation and create jobs.
The Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR) is developing the strategy. At the centre is a commitment to make Adelaide the world’s first carbon neutral city and the development of a low carbon investment plan for South Australia. We are also ensuring the resilience of our state by partnering with regional leaders to deliver regional climate change adaptation plans under our internationally recognised and award winning adaptation framework.
How can your input influence the decision?
Your input will help inform the development of the new Climate Change Strategy, which is anticipated to be released by the end of the year. Through this engagement opportunity, you can influence how South Australia responds to climate change in our state. The final strategy will be endorsed by the Minister for Climate Change.
The Government will also be reviewing the Climate Change and Greenhouse Emissions Reduction Act 2007. The feedback received through this process will also help inform this review. You can find out more about the legislation on the department's website.
How can you take part?
Submissions close on Sunday 18 October 2015. You can take part in the online discussions to inform the Climate Change Strategy by clicking on one of the online discussions. The questions we are exploring are:
- ADAPT: How can government, communities, businesses and individuals work together to prioritise and fund activities that build our resilience to climate change?
- REDUCE: What are the opportunities for South Australia to substantially reduce our emissions?
- INNOVATE: How can South Australia be the innovator in climate change action?
- LEAD: What does it mean to you for South Australia to be a leader in taking action to respond to climate change?
- CARBON NEUTRAL ADELAIDE: What actions could government, industry and the community take to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the City of Adelaide and create economic opportunities for the State?
All the climate change workshops have now been held. To read the notes from these workshops click here.
The Government is also engaging on a low carbon investment plan for South Australia. You can find out more on the Renewables SA website.