The draft Adelaide Botanic Garden Masterplan 2020 will guide future infrastructure investment across Adelaide Botanic Garden and Botanic Park.
Suggested upgrades in the Masterplan 2020 include:
Integration with the new, global innovation precinct at Lot Fourteen
- Reuse of the historic Francis Arbour to create a new entrance hub between Lot Fourteen and Adelaide Botanic Garden.
- Creation of a commercial shop at the entrance between Lot Fourteen and Adelaide Botanic Garden.
- Upgrades to enhance the main North Terrace entrance, whilst maintaining its heritage value.
- Replacement of the western boundary fencing with a more visually appealing and secure form.
- Identification of long-term solutions to protect the state’s preserved botanical collections, which are currently stored in Tram Barn A and the Goodman Building.
- The construction of a new visitor, science, education and collections centre.
Water and Waterway Management
- Implement a way to sustainably manage the lake and waterways in the long-term.
- Final commissioning of the First Creek wetland aquifer storage and recovery system, to enable the gardens to be more water supply self-sufficient.
Collections and Thematic Landscape Development
- Strategic revitalisation of the plant collections.
- Continued conservation of the heritage buildings, including the Goodman Building, Tram Barn A, East Lodge, North Lodge and Bicentennial Conservatory.
- Redevelopment of the horticultural staff works depot to increase safety, productivity and functionality.
Site Infrastructure Management
- Upgraded walking paths.
- Improved directional signage.
- Upgraded public toilets and other amenities.
- A new teaching glasshouse.
- Raised boardwalk through the Ficus Avenue to improve accessibility, and longevity of the 150-year-old Moreton Bay Fig trees.
- Reinstate the bridge that spanned over Main Lake, reconnecting main walk from north to south.
Visitor Experience and Event Management
- More botanical and cultural collections storytelling and interpretation.
- New infrastructure to support opening the gardens in the evening for curated experiences (i.e. lighting, Wi-Fi, security cameras).
Upcoming key dates
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 5:00 PM