This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 21 October to 17 November 2020. Below is a record of the engagement.
We are seeking your feedback on a draft Heritage Tourism Strategy and Action Plan for South Australia.
What’s being decided?
There is significant potential to unlock our state’s heritage places and stories. Over the next decade, heritage tourism efforts will focus on these three interconnected goals:
- Connect: Heritage encounters that deepen the visitor experience.
- Lead: A tourism industry that benefits from a professional heritage sector
- Conserve: Tourism activation conserves and enhances heritage places, sites and landscapes
Following extensive consultation with the tourism industry and heritage sector stakeholders as well as the feedback received from our previous consultation, we have identified:
- The strategies that will bolster these goals, and reflect stakeholder priorities for heritage tourism in South Australia, and,
- The actions that will be accomplished over the next two years.
A strategic, focussed approach to maximising the tourism potential of South Australia’s heritage will achieve the following key intentions:
- Growth in the visitor economy as a result of outstanding heritage experiences
- Investment and activity that conserves, retains and takes pride in the sites and stories that shape the South Australian heritage visitor experience.
We have developed a draft Heritage Tourism Strategy and action plan which outline our strategic approach to heritage tourism. We need your feedback to ensure we deliver a strong vision and framework for growing heritage tourism in South Australia.
To have your say:
Please note: Your submissions and survey responses may be made publicly available unless you indicate on the submission or survey that you wish for these to remain confidential. Any responses that are made on a confidential basis may still be subject to access under Freedom of Information laws.
How can your input influence the decision?
Your feedback will be used to shape the final version of the draft strategy and action plan, to ensure that we have the right goals, strategies and actions to grow heritage tourism in South Australia to $1.58 billion by 2030.
What are the next steps?
The Heritage Tourism Alliance will review feedback and finalise the strategy and action plan. It will then be presented to the Minister for Environment and Water for approval to release. The strategy will be launched and implementation of action plan will commence.
For more information:
- email DEWtourism@sa.gov.au
- call 0455 147 835 during business hours (9am to 5pm, weekdays).