The Education and Children’s Services Act 2019 (the Act) passed Parliament in August 2019 and is planned to start later this year.
The Act was developed following extensive consultation over a number of years, including via YourSAy from January to March 2017.
The Act supports the development and education of children in South Australia with new or updated provisions to:
- Improve information sharing to support the education, safety and wellbeing of children and students
- Introduce new and improved powers to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children and staff at schools, preschools and children’s services
- Support a strong approach to attendance at school, introducing family conferencing to address chronic non-attendance, and increasing penalties for parents and, caregivers who fail to take reasonable steps to ensure their child attends school
- Promote consistency in governance arrangements across government schools, preschools and children’s services
- Update employment arrangements for government teachers