This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 25 February to 3 April 2020. Find out more about the consultation process. Below is a record of the engagement.
The Education and Children’s Services Act 2019 (the Act) passed Parliament in August 2019 and is planned to start later this year.
The Act was developed following extensive consultation over a number of years, including via YourSAy from January to March 2017.
The Act supports the development and education of children in South Australia with new or updated provisions to:
- Improve information sharing to support the education, safety and wellbeing of children and students
- Introduce new and improved powers to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children and staff at schools, preschools and children’s services
- Support a strong approach to attendance at school, introducing family conferencing to address chronic non-attendance, and increasing penalties for parents and, caregivers who fail to take reasonable steps to ensure their child attends school
- Promote consistency in governance arrangements across government schools, preschools and children’s services
- Update employment arrangements for government teachers