This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 23 November 2020 to 22 January 2021. Find out more about the consultation process. Below is a record of the engagement.
What are the best ways to support early childhood learning and development to help children thrive as they start school?
What’s being decided?
The first 5 years of life influence a child’s future educational achievement, wellbeing and success.
Around a quarter of South Australian children start school with one or more developmental vulnerabilities that can impact their ability to learn. Children's health, development and learning are crucial factors during these early stages of life.
To support every child's development, we’re creating an Early Learning Strategy to:
- develop partnerships across government and non-government sectors to increase the proportion of children developmentally on track, regardless of background or location with additional specific support for Aboriginal and disadvantaged children
- create high-quality educational preschool programs underpinned by excellence in teaching and learning
- support parents who are highly engaged and enable their children to learn and reach their potential.
To help us shape the strategy, we want to know your thoughts around the key issues and opportunities in the following areas:
- Preschool programs to support children’s learning and development before school.
- Monitoring developmental milestones to ensure children are ‘on track’ as they start school.
- Support for parents to help their child’s learning and development.
You can find out more on the Department for Education website.
To have your say:
- join the online discussion
- complete the online survey
- email your submission to Education.ELS@sa.gov.au
- post your feedback to:
Department for Education
Early Learning Strategy
GPO BOX 1152
Adelaide, SA 5000
How can your input influence the decision?
Your feedback will let us know what is important to the South Australian community and will help inform the focus of the Early Learning strategy.
What are the next steps?
An update on the development of the strategy will be provided early in 2021 on this website.
For general inquiries, please email us at Education.ELS@sa.gov.au