This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 11 December 2020 to 1 February 2021. Below is a record of the engagement process.
Have your say on changes to heritage guidelines for Colonel Light Gardens that aim to protect this garden suburb’s significant heritage.
What is being decided?
Colonel Light Gardens is Australia’s most complete example of an early 1900s garden suburb and is a designated State Heritage Area. The existing heritage guidelines for Colonel Light Gardens encourage appropriate development, compatible with the heritage values of the area.
In response to the introduction of a new planning system for South Australia, we are reviewing and updating the guidelines for the suburb to ensure they:
- are fit for purpose
- are consistent with terminology in the proposed Planning and Design Code (Phase 3 - Urban Areas)
- reflect the Colonel Light Gardens Statement of Heritage Significance.
The key changes to the draft guidelines include:
- updating the structure and terminology of the document, to mirror the structure of the new State Heritage Area Overlay of the Code
- a detailed description of the heritage features of the garden suburb, for design guideline advice
- sections describing the ‘heritage characteristics’ of Colonel Light Gardens, to highlight the heritage elements of the suburb
- new sections on the management of the heritage values of public spaces and reserves within the garden suburb
- revised guidance policy relating to materials, fencing and services such as solar panels, reflecting current practices.
The updated guidelines will affect how development is undertaken in Colonel Light Gardens. Residents and others with an interest in the State Heritage Area, are invited to provide feedback.
To have your say, read the:
Provide your feedback by:
- joining the online discussion
- completing the online survey
- emailing DEW.StateHeritageDA@sa.gov.au
- requesting a time to speak with Heritage SA
Please note: Your feedback may be made publicly available unless you indicate on your submission that you wish for this to remain confidential. Surveys do not identify individuals however text responses may be made publically available. Any responses that are made on a confidential basis may still be subject to access under Freedom of Information laws.
How can your input influence the decision?
Your feedback will be considered in finalising the Heritage Guidelines (Colonel Light Gardens State Heritage Area) and help ensure development in the area protects the identified heritage values.
What are the next steps?
The final draft, including feedback, will be submitted to the Chief Executive, Department for Environment and Water for approval.
Once approved, the guidelines will be published on this site and the Department for Environment and Water website.
The updated guidelines will be used:
- by Heritage SA in assessing development applications that may impact on state heritage values
- to provide advice to property owners planning to restore, alter or develop their property
- by Mitcham Council in assessing applications in the Colonel Light Gardens State Heritage Area, where relevant.
Phone (08) 8124 4922 Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm