Join us in developing a vision and a shared plan to grow heritage tourism in South Australia, create jobs and stimulate economic activity.
What’s being decided?
We are exploring how SA’s heritage, its places and stories can be reimagined to help grow the Visitor Economy to $12.8 billion by 2030.
There is significant potential to unlock our heritage places and stories to create experiences that showcase our state’s distinctive history, enhance the unique appeal of SA and encourage visitors to stay longer and spend more. To guide how these heritage tourism opportunities are realised we are developing a strategy and action plan.
The strategy and action plan will seek to maximise the value of heritage tourism and contribute to achieving strong growth in the South Australian Visitor Economy by:
- establishing a vision for heritage tourism in South Australia
- articulating the unique heritage stories and experiences that define SA’s identity and will encourage visitors to travel to our state, stay longer and spend more
- identifying the best opportunities and priorities to grow heritage tourism in SA, including activating and repurposing heritage places for tourism purposes
- determining what needs to be done and how we can work together to realise SA’s heritage tourism potential.
To help inform the development of the strategy and action plan we want your views and ideas on:
- the uniquely South Australian heritage stories, experiences and places that would appeal to visitors
- the opportunities, challenges and barriers to growing heritage tourism in SA
- what needs to be done to leverage the potential of heritage to contribute to growing SA’s Visitor Economy.
To provide your feedback read the background paper Developing a strategic direction for heritage tourism in South Australia and:
- complete an indepth online questionnaire (20 to 25 minutes to complete)
- email your written submission to DEWheritage@sa.gov.au
- attend one of our regional workshops
join one or more online discussion
Please note: your written submission will be made publicly available unless you indicate your wish for it to remain confidential.
How can your input influence the decision?
Your input will be used to help:
- identify SA’s unique heritage stories and places that have strong appeal to visitors
- determine the opportunities and challenges for developing heritage-based visitor experiences
- understand what needs be done and how we can all work together to realise the tourism potential of SA’s heritage.
Together we can strengthen SA as a visitor destination, create jobs and economic opportunity in our towns and communities, and drive conservation of heritage places through investment and use.
What are the next steps?
Your feedback will inform a draft Heritage Tourism Strategy and Action Plan. A summary report of this consultation will be published on YourSAy.
We will develop a draft strategy and action plan and you will be invited to review it, and tell us what you think.
The final strategy and action plan will be released by June 2020.
For more information:
- email DEWheritage@sa.gov.au
- call 8204 1326 during business hours (9am to 5pm, weekdays).
Closing date: 5pm, Monday 7 October 2019
Upcoming key dates
Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 5:00 PM