This engagement has concluded
Updates and outcomes
You are invited to have your say on the proposed creation of an Industry Advocate Act 2017, as contained in the draft Industry Advocate Bill 2017.
What is being decided?
The South Australian Government is proposing to strengthen its support for local industry and jobs by enshrining in law the role of the Industry Advocate, a position dedicated to helping South Australian companies tender for Government projects and ensuring contractors abide by their commitments.
The Industry Advocate Bill establishes the Industry Advocate as a statutory position and furthers its powers to hold contractors to commitments they have made in Industry Participation Plans.
The Bill will be accompanied by an updated Industry Participation Policy, streamlining existing requirements for government tenders to indicate how their project will contribute to local investment, jobs and industry growth.
The Industry Advocate Bill (PDF 61KB) proposes that:
- The South Australian Government will commit to establishing and maintaining an Industry Participation Policy (PDF 360B) and promoting the economic development of the steel industry and other critical industries to the State.
- The Industry Advocate will become a statutory position with specific functions and powers, including:
- Assisting businesses based in South Australia to build the capacity to participate in Government contracts;
- Advocacy functions to help resolve complaints about industry participation in Government contracts;
- Enforcement functions to ensure contractors meet commitments made under Industry Participation Plans; and
- An ability to require information from persons to enable the Industry Advocate to effectively carry out his functions.
The revised Industry Participation Policy incorporates into one high-level document, strategic procurement policies that already exist regarding steel, Aboriginal participation, regional development, innovation and growth, investment attraction, and special economic zones (e.g. Northern Economic Development Plan Zone).
An Overview of the Industry Participation Framework (PDF 250KB) has been prepared to guide consultation on the Industry Advocate Bill, and the Industry Participation Policy and Procedural Guidelines (PDF 570KB).
How can your input influence the decision?
You can also provide your comments on the draft Industry Advocate Bill and South Australian Industry Participation Policy and Guidelines by:
Comments close at 5:00 pm, Friday 31 March 2017. A summary of submissions will be published in April 2017.
Your feedback will help inform the final Bill that is presented to Parliament and will influence the South Australian Industry Participation Policy and Guidelines.
Want to know more?
Download the Overview of the Industry Participation Framework (PDF 250KB)
Download the Industry Advocate Bill 2017 (PDF 61KB)
Download the revised draft South Australian Industry Participation Policy (PDF 360KB)
Download the South Australian Industry Participation Procedural Guidelines (PDF 570KB).
Contact us via (08) 8266 8956 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.