This project is being undertaken by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (on behalf of the Minister for Planning).
We are proposing to establish a Linear Park between Semaphore Park to Grange under the Linear Parks Act 2006.
The objectives of this Act are to:
- establish, maintain and preserve linear parks as world-class assets to be used and enjoyed as public parks for the benefit of present and future generations;
- promote the use and enjoyment of linear parks by the community; and
- facilitate the use of linear parks for exercise and outdoor activities.
Coast Park initiative
Coast Park is a State Government initiative to establish a continuous 70km coastal linear park along the metropolitan coastline which aims to:
- Improve access to enjoy our beautiful coastline;
- link various coastal features and activity centres through the provision of a shared-use recreation path;
- provide convenient access for all people wishing to use the coast and ensuring free, safe and convenient access and facilities that are available for all ages and abilities;
- increase recreation opportunities along the coastline;
- reinforce the diversity of the coastline; and
- enhance the existing coastal environment through dune revegetation and erosion control.
Coast Park has been progressively implemented by State Government and local councils since 1992 and the section between Grange and Semaphore Park is one of the few remaining links still to complete.