Let us know your thoughts on the review of the South Australian Retirement Villages Act 2016.
What’s being decided?
We are reviewing the South Australian Retirement Villages Act 2016 (the Act) and are seeking community feedback to find out whether it meets its intended objectives or if legislative changes should be considered.
The Act’s intended objectives include:
- clarifying the rights and responsibilities of both operators and residents,
- enhancing information disclosure requirements,
- providing tighter definitions, and
- ensuring improved consumer protections.
The review includes aspects related to the four key components of retirement villages:
- Considerations before someone moves into a village
- Living in a village
- Leaving a village
- Miscellaneous matters
The Act Review Summary lists each key component and their sub-components, which are all included in this consultation.
A two-part Discussion Paper has been developed to facilitate the review and inform your feedback:
- The first part provides background information and legislative framework.
- The second part provides a detailed review of the components of the legislation with discussion questions.
- joining the online discussion
- filling out the interactive feedback form
- make an online submission
- emailing your feedback to RVActReview@sa.gov.au
- posting your feedback to:
Att: RV Act Review
PO Box 196 Rundle Mall, Adelaide SA 5000
Please note that you don't need to answer all the questions listed in the Discussion Paper. They are designed to prompt conversation, not to limit feedback.
Your submission may be made publicly available and it may be subject to Freedom of Information and other laws. If you would like your submission to remain confidential, clearly state this on the submission. Office for Ageing Well reserves the right not to publish information that could be seen as defamatory or discriminatory.
How can your input influence the decision?
Your input will help determine if the Act meets its objectives and if reforms introduced in 2018 have been effective or whether changes are required.
What are the next steps?
We will consider your feedback to develop a report with recommendations to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing outlining the outcomes of the review.
The report will be tabled in both Houses of Parliament following its completion and it will be available on the Office for Ageing Well (OFAW) and this websites.
For further information or a printed copy of the Discussion Paper (link):
- email us at RVActReview@sa.gov.au or,
- call us on 08 8204 2420 during business hours (9am to 5pm, weekdays).
Closing date: 5pm, Friday 26 March 2021
Upcoming key dates
Fri, 26 Mar 2021 at 5:00 PM