This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 2 July to 20 August 2020. Below is a record of the engagement.
We want your feedback on the proposed changes to the Training and Skills Development Act 2008 to help develop a more responsive training system for apprenticeships and traineeships
What is being decided?
We are updating the Training and Skills Development Act 2008 (SA) to improve the regulation of apprenticeships and traineeships. We want to provide employers and individuals with training and skill development that meets the needs of modern workplaces and the changing nature of work.
Following our previous consultation, the Training and Skills Development (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2020 introduces changes to develop a more responsive training system that is flexible, easy to navigate and geared towards the workforce needs of industry.
Key changes introduced by the Bill include:
- Establishing the South Australian Skills Commission – in line with the national emphasis on skills to support economic recovery
- Establishing a South Australian Skills Commissioner – building on the success of the Industry Skills Councils
- Expanding the scope of trades and declared vocations
- Streamlining employer registration, including ability to declare an employer a prohibited employer
- Introducing a fee for employers on transfer of a trainee or apprentice
- Balancing obligations on parties to an apprenticeship or traineeship
- Recognising other trade training
We want to know your thoughts on the changes to make sure they meet the needs of industry, the training sector and individuals. The Questions for Feedback will help inform your feedback.
To help you understand the Bill, and the changes, we have put together the following resources:
- Training and Skills Development (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2020
- Overview of Changes
- Extended Explanation of Changes PDF
- Questions for Feedback
You can have your say by:
Submissions or feedback received on the Bill will be considered public unless indicated otherwise by the author.
How can your input influence the decision?
All feedback will be considered and any resulting amendments to the Bill will be made in accordance with Parliamentary process.
What are the next steps?
Regulations and guidelines that will support the updated Act will be developed through consultation on this site with stakeholders once the Act has passed through Parliament.
For more information or if you have any questions, please email DIS.TSDAct.Review@sa.gov.au or phone 1800 673 097