The Marshall Liberal Government has announced the biggest overhaul of Vocational Education and Training (VET) in schools in a generation, revealing a new VET for School Students policy.
The Government has identified that a strong VET system will be critical in developing the skills that South Australia needs in the modern economy, with the SA Training and Skills Commission advising that VET qualifications are predicted to be favoured over university degrees in 42 out of 50 occupations forecast to see the most growth over the coming years.
Below is a summary of the main reforms and initiatives from the policy.
VET for school students policy
The VET for school students policy sets out the government’s strategic direction and plans for reforming how vocational education and training (VET) is delivered. It builds on existing good practice across South Australia and sets out the state government’s framework for system-wide reform that improves completions of both VET qualifications and SACE, drives transitions to skilled careers and better meets the needs of industry for underpinning strong economic growth.
It focuses on 3 key pillars of reform. Each pillar includes a number of reform initiatives.
Clearly articulated pathways
- Industry endorsed Flexible Industry Pathways for school students
- VET Readiness Orientation (VETRO) as the gateway to Flexible Industry Pathways to assess students’ suitability for VET programs and identify any support required
- New pathways in emerging industries such as cyber security
- Enterprise and employability skills training mapped to SACE subjects
- Maximum flexibility in apprenticeships and traineeships
- Simplified and streamlined funding arrangements.
Enhanced career education
- Better marketing and promotion materials
- Single trusted source of high-quality career information and resources
- New industry and employer immersion program accessed through an online portal
- World of Work Challenge
- Streamlined processes for work experience and placement.
Improved student outcomes
- VET for schools capability building program
- ePortfolio application
- Online community
- Destination data measures and tracking mechanisms
- VET for School Students Ministerial Advisory Committee.