Consultation on the draft Dog and Cat Management Regulations has now closed.
Community consultation is an important aspect of the process and we thank all those who provided their feedback.
A consultation report is now available here, and progress on the process of making the Regulations will be made available on the YourSAy website.
Feedback is being sought on a number of proposals in the draft Dog and Cat Management Regulations 2016.
What is being decided?
The South Australian Government has been working with key stakeholders to reform the state's dog and cat laws, specifically the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995. Changes to the Act were passed in Parliament in July 2016 - download the Dog and Cat Management (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2016 (PDF 195KB).
The draft Regulations (192KB) are the next important step in the South Australian Government's dog and cat management reform program and follow extensive public consultation and a Citizens' Jury in 2015 to amend the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.
- Download the Overview of proposed Dog and Cat Management Regulations 2016 (PDF 130KB).
- Download the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 205KB).
The final phase of consultation gives dog and cat owners, breeders and others directly affected, the chance to have a say on the finer details on the proposed new laws and how they are implemented.
South Australia's previous dog and cat laws were inadequate and out of step with modern attitudes to the management of dogs and cats in the community. Through the microchipping and desexing of dogs and cats, the changes are designed, among other things, to better regulate breeders, stamp out the unethical practice of 'puppy farming' and reduce the number of unclaimed dogs and cats euthanized in shelters.
How can your input influence the decision?
This is an opportunity for you to provide your input on the draft Regulations. Particularly, we want your input on:
- timeframes for registering microchip details
- exemptions from microchipping and desexing
- breeding of dogs and cats
- information to be provided in advertisements for the sale of dogs and cats
- information provided to buyers
- any other part of the Regulations that require further clarification.
Provide your feedback by:
- joining the online discussion
- filling out the online survey
- sending in a submission via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your feedback will help inform the final Regulations that are presented to Parliament.
How will your input be used?
A report on what was heard and any resulting changes made to the draft Regulations will be prepared once online consultation has ended and the comments have been analysed. This report will be made available here on the YourSAy website.
Want to know more?
- Download the Dog and Cat Management (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2016 (PDF 195KB).
- Follow the conversation on Facebook: Good Dog SA and Good Cat SA.
- Send us an email via email@example.com.
- Phone: (08) 8124 4962.
Thu, 22 Dec 2016 at 11:00 AM