Suicide is a matter of significant community and public health concern. It is the leading cause of death for South Australians aged 15 to 44 and in 2019 there was a significant increase in suicide related deaths Australia wide. Suicide is the third leading cause of premature death and has the third highest rate of years of life lost for all conditions.
A sustained effort to suicide prevention and postvention (activities and programs to support people bereaved by suicide) is required to reduce its incidence.
The aim of the proposed Suicide Prevention Bill 2020 is to:
- deliver a sustained whole of community and government focus on suicide prevention to reduce the rate of suicide in South Australia; and
- better monitor outcomes and develop policies and programs that further reduce incidence.
The issue of suicide is complex, rarely resulting from a single cause. Understanding the problems helps us understand the solution.
Get involved and help us address this important issue.
Need help or support?
If you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, or you have been impacted by suicide, please seek help through your General Practitioner or by contacting the following support services:
- For assistance in a mental health emergency, contact the South Australian Mental Health Triage (over 18 years of age) on 13 14 65. Available 24 hours, seven days a week.
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) (up to 16 years): 1300 222 647
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Kids Help Line 1800 551 800
- Mensline Australia 1300 789 978
- Headspace 1800 650 890
- QLife 1800 184 527
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- Reach Out (for young people)
- Suicide Call Back Service 1300 650 467
- Open Arms (Veterans and their families) 1800 011 046
If you are bereaved by suicide:
- Standby Response Adelaide South: 0437 752 458
- Standby Response Adelaide North: 0438 728 644
- Living Beyond Suicide Country South Australia: 1300 761 193
- Bereaved through Suicide: 0488 440 287
- MOSH (Minimisation of Suicide Harm): 8377 0091
In an emergency call 000 (Triple Zero).