Join the discussion
The objectives of the draft policy are to:
- Reduce numbers of feral pigs by removing at least 60 per cent of feral pigs from all established populations each year.
- Prevent domestic pigs from escaping into the wild.
- Prevent the release of domestic and feral pigs.
The main elements of this new draft policy are:
- Remove at least 60 per cent of feral pigs from all established populations each year.
- Prohibit the movement, possession and sale of feral pigs (note that domestic pigs have a separate declaration prohibiting their release).
- Require the public to notify NRM authorities of feral pigs (except on Kangaroo Island).
- Escaped domestic pigs are immediately classified as feral if they escape, and they must be destroyed if they stray from the property that is registered to keep them.
Download the Declared Animal Policy - Feral Pigs (DOC 570KB)