Emerging future needs

What are the emerging future needs in housing? What needs to change and what are your solutions for tackling them?

Join the discussion below.

Leave a comment

Myles Kenihan

15 Jul 2019

By around 2030, a quarter of South Australians will be 65 years old or more and most of those will be living alone. Single and double bed roomed domiciles will need to become the norm. I don't know if the current stock of Trust properties are best suited to the conditions which are likely in 10-15 years. The ongoing constriction of the social state, march of technological unemployment and aging population all contribute to the diminishing revenue base of the public purse which means the sector won't be flooded with resources. Demand for affordable housing is inexorable but so too seems demand for low risk investments. As much as we'd all love the life of an English squire, perhaps some social discipline is not misplaced? Reading some of comments already posted, I think that the tiny house movement seems to present one answer or at least something in the realm of the possible.

Don't have an account? Register here.

Chanae Matthews

12 Jul 2019

I am single and don't plan on having kids. I don't need a three bedroom home with two bathrooms and I don't want a huge mortgage to live in a one bedroom flat in the city. I would love to own a tiny home that can be built on a small budget. I don't need much - a small home, eco friendly/off the grid, on a small piece of land outside of the city. There are too many rules and regulations around this in SA. NZ are much more progressive in this area and therefore have many companies that build these types of homes.

Selina Simmons > Chanae Matthews

13 Jul 2019

What about an option of sharing a home with someone who feels the same but instead built the large home because of the restrictions of Tiny Houses?!

Chanae Matthews > Chanae Matthews

13 Jul 2019

Yes, that could be an option as I do like spending time with friends and family but I also like to be independent and have my own little space I can call home. I dislike the way the world is designed around everyone being in a pair. It can be very hard for a individual, especially when it comes to housing.

Tina Hall

09 Jul 2019

We need to look at other countries that are making headway in this area. What is working well and what can we leverage from.
There are number of things we can look at such as:
- Block community single accommodation living. This assists connectivity and affordable living for singles. (Similar to military accommodation years ago).
- Tiny house communities that offer community gardens, and low footprint living.
- Multiple family accommodation opportunities.
- encouraging further recycling and lowering waste ( heaps being done overseas in this area)
There are many things that can be done that are low hanging fruit and you can get bang for buck quickly.
The biggest hurdle is how we can manage the changes to ensure people embrace the new way
I would be grateful to participate and share my insights into these discussions.

Sarah Wormald

04 Jul 2019

Allow communities to have small tiny homes, and encourage tiny home communities, this will for some give financial stability and social connectedness and relationships
If you adopt a similar model for the homeless sector you must have services connected and intertwined to ensure education and health needs are met or waves of intervention support available. The communities could almost work to be self sufficient if the government sets them up with communal shelter solar rainwater tanks seating simple bbq kitchen community garden etc tiny House or accommodation cabin 2.4m x 7-10m Long. Simple basic accommodation subsidised on a tier system of reflective of individuals current status and eventual progress and achievements to independence.