Duplication

Tell us about processes or regulatory requirements that are duplicated or overlap.

• Are you getting frustrated dealing with more than one government agency on the same issue?
  • Do you need approval for a project from more than one government agency?

Comments closed

Andrew Peacock

16 Mar 2017

I have been a Volunteer and at number of levels
When I help out at my school taking kids on a excursion
As a CFS Volunteer and even at work with SA government
There seems to be a lot of duplication on getting a Police check or working with Children & elderly people.
Why cant we have a system like QLD where you get a "Blue card" that is valid for 2 years and can be used at any agency, also means you only pay out once, not like here where I have to pay out every time I need a new check and some agencies will only take a police check that is 3 months old, it can take longer to get one!!

Government Agency

Simpler Regulation Unit > Andrew Peacock

16 Mar 2017

That is a really good example of inefficiency and duplication in process. We will follow up on it with the relevant departments and ensure your input is considered for future Simplify Day initiatives. Thanks for getting involved Andrew.

Government Agency

Simpler Regulation Unit > Andrew Peacock

24 Aug 2017

Hi Andrew, of the ideas received for Simplify Day, one of the strongest emerging themes was in the area of volunteer and employment related screening. We have followed up your feedback with the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI). DCSI advised that the Child Safety (Prohibited Persons) Act 2016, in response to the Nyland Royal Commission, will replace the current child employment screening framework and will provide a more consistent, efficient and transparent system. When the new Act commences operation, all persons wishing to work with children (whether paid or unpaid) will be required to obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) from DCSI. The WWCC will be valid for 5 years (as opposed to today's 3 years), can be initiated by an individual without an employer and will be portable for different employment/volunteer positions. You can read more about the employment and volunteer screening reforms on page 7 of the Simplify Day 2017 report on http://www.treasury.sa.gov.au/public-sector-operations/simpler-regulation-unit/simplify-day as well as well as on http://screening.dcsi.sa.gov.au.

Sue Florance

10 Mar 2017

This may not be a private business, but I would like to point out the frustrations being felt by the Kangaroo Island community when being forced to deal with so many government agencies on Road Safety issues. The Kangaroo Island Road Safety Group conducted a community survey in Sept 16 that has identified change to specific road safety concerns. We asked them to "have their say" and they did this overwhelmingly.

This group has had to duplicate their requests at numerous levels of government just naming a few DPTI, Kangaroo Island Council, Ministers responsible for Road Safety, local members of parliament, the KI Commissioner just to name a few, engagement has been also followed through with the RAA. Seriously, how many levels are needed to effective change. Issues seem to go around and around in circles with flow back of response becoming so fragmented by the time it gets back to our group, our objectives have been lost in the bureaucracy. This directly leads to volunteer energy decline. I am sure that our group is not alone with our frustrations. No wonder community involvement is diminishing in rural areas. Traditionally, the energy of volunteers is vital to the success and prosperity of everyday living standards in rural communities. So if you are really serious about improving this situation much needs to be done !

I submit this comment which has been made on the Road Safety facebook site:

Did you know that, the South Australian Government manages and maintains just three roads on Kangaroo Island: the Kingscote to Penneshaw road, the Playford Highway from Parndana to Kingscote, and the road accessing American River. The balance - 237 kms of sealed roads & 1125 kms of unsealed roads remain the responsibility of Island residents. Two million dollars per annum for road maintenance/construction is received from the State Government each year. There is a big problem here - it costs around 2 million dollars per km to construct a new road and $400,000 per km to mill and resurface. What do you think about this ? For more information go to DPTI website .....

Sums it up really ..... Kangaroo Island is promoted as the "jewel of the crown" of SA, yet this government seriously does not support this island enough financially to basic road network infrastructure, yet it continues to promote the Island in this manner, while putting the safety of it's visitors and locals at high risks. Fix the roads first, then surely the education will prove more effective and save lives.

These comments are supported by the Kangaroo Island Community. Thank you for allowing us to have our say !

Government Agency

Simpler Regulation Unit > Sue Florance

14 Mar 2017

Hi Sue, you have raised some good points about the various levels of government that are involved in delivering and maintaining infrastructure projects. We’ll look into how we can incorporate this issue into our simplify day initiatives. Thanks for getting involved.

Government Agency

Simpler Regulation Unit > Sue Florance

24 Aug 2017

Hi Sue, we receive a lot of feed back from rural communities and understand the unique challenges you face, particularly on KI. We have raised your concerns with our colleagues at the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure for further consideration. If you would like to share any specific issues that you think have not been progressed please contact us at simplerreg@sa.gov.au.