Join the discussion

This is an opportunity for you to provide your input on the draft Regulations (PDF 52KB). Particularly, we want your input on:

• timeframes for registering microchip details
  • exemptions from microchipping and desexing
  • breeding of dogs and cats
  • information to be provided in advertisements for the sale of dogs and cats
  • information provided to the buyers
  • any other part of the Regulations that require further clarification.

Your feedback will help inform the final Regulations that are presented to Parliament.

You can also complete the online survey to provide your feedback.

Comments closed

Leesa Lewis

01 Nov 2016

I have been a cat breeder for over 50 yrs.
I do not understand why responsible breeders have to pay MORE to a useless group. We don't make a profit, we are not able to pay more to useless councils as this is a money making scheme to kill us out of breeding.

When we do the right thing why do we get hit with more expenses when we don't make money from our animals?.
I refuse to have a female cat have kittens in a cattery. She is in my house where i can watch 24/7
I only have a breeding pair of pure Siamese.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Leesa Lewis

03 Nov 2016

Thank you for your comments Leesa. The intention of the breeders' register is to establish a system that would discourage disreputable breeders who may be operating puppy farms and give people who buy a dog or a cat confidence that their pet has come from a reputable breeder and a healthy and humane environment. The proposed breeders' registration system is not an onerous responsibility and the Dog and Cat Management Board is negotiating with breeder organisations on a reduced fee and streamlined registration arrangements for their members.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Leesa Lewis > Leesa Lewis

04 Nov 2016

The problem I can see especially in the dog world is that registered breeders are still puppy farms, one breeder has over 20 litters a month and they are the cruelest of breeders, dogs are kept in tiny carry cages for 23 hrs a day, yet nothing is done.
I prefer to buy a dog from a litter that has been loved and cared for by a person who is not registered, you also have fewer health problems.
We are not going to be given reduced fees as it is the councils that will be doing this.I want a 3rd dog, my other 2 a Keeshond and a maremma (guard dog) I get at 1/2 cost, I need a 3rd one to help me bring in the goats (10) for milking and at $65 I just cannot afford it, the councils won't allow us to pay them off we have to pay in August which also makes it difficult as bills are high that month.
What are you doing about feral animals, NOTHING, and they are even worse.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Leesa Lewis

07 Nov 2016

Leesa, thanks for your ongoing feedback. The new laws that are soon coming into effect will actually go along way towards weeding unethical breeders out of the industry. Breeder registration and new rules regarding the sale of dogs and cats will allow the government to track the breeding industry better than ever before and mandatory desexing will help reduce the problem of unwanted litters/unethical backyard breeders.
In addition to this, the Government are close to finalising a draft code of practice that will lay out rules for all breeders and traders, which should address some of the concerns you have here. This code was consulted on previously through the YourSAy website.
Briefly, in relation to you other concerns:
- local government will still be required to provide substantial rebates for desexing and microchipping dogs and cats. So, even if an owner is exempt from the obligation to microchip or desex, there will still be a strong financial incentive for them to do so.
- Councils, State Government, NRM Boards and the Commonwealth are working together to address Australia's feral animal problem There's no magic bullet but the problem is being addressed through a variety of mechanisms.
We hope that helps to answer your queries.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Sally Johnson

25 Oct 2016

The problem as I see it is that commercial breeders and the breeders of mongrels will have the same regulations as ethical breeders. Make is impossible to breed mongrels in backyards and make a profit from producing non health tested dogs who are not guaranteed. It seems the Members of DogsSA are being bled dry by even more costs. In 40 years I doubt I have made a profit breeding dogs. I have imported many dogs to improve bloodlines and introduce new genetic material. I suggest you have a look at how much that costs us as $10,000 to $15,000 is not an unreasonable gestimate, and I have imported 8. I will never recover this money nor would I want to. I breed to maintain centuries of careful selection of dogs, I breed to hand on to the next generation, sound healthy and DNA tested dogs, who can prove their lineage, I breed to see happy smiling faces of people and kids as they get their new warm puppy. I guarantee my dogs and I will take them back at any time and I have taken in dogs I have not even bred and re-homed them, get that from a Pet shop or a commercial breeder!
I feel that the RSPCA is more concerned with their image and have lost their grass roots mandate and letting them have any say in this is disastrous. Stop the supply of dogs to pet shops, stop backyard breeding but do not penalize ethical breeders by lumping us all together.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Sally Johnson

28 Oct 2016

Thank you for your comments Sally. It is pleasing to hear of the care and attention you take with your dogs as part of your breeding business.
One of the key aims of these reforms was to crack down on unethical backyard breeders and puppy farmers.
The Government's approach of breeder registration will provide some regulation over the industry without excessive requirements on ethical breeders, like yourself. The Dog and Cat Management Board is negotiating with breeder organisations on a reduced fee and streamlined arrangements for their members. The new requirements of mandatory microchipping, mandatory desexing and provision of information in advertisements and to buyers also aims to improve the industry.
I hope you have completed the online survey so that your comments are recorded. A report will be posted on YourSAy once the consultation closes and all comments have been analysed, so be sure to check back later in November / early December.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Megan Helmers

13 Oct 2016

I have two cats that are 2 yrs old and can't be spayed because they won't survive sedation let alone the anesthetic.... they live indoors indefinitely... And I would refuse to risk their lives by spaying them... And I have cared for them since they were two weeks premature...
So I have formed quite a bond with them.... They will never get outside therefore they will never add to the population growth of unwanted kittens... Im more responsible than that... I used to foster kittens and I have 5 girls indoors and my three elderly desexed cats in an outside enclosure... and my tiny dog is spayed and microchipped... Apart from the two girls that can't be spayed... The local council has been here and my girls are all well and healthy and secured inside and my outdoor three in the enclosure are happy and healthy.... But the condition is I don't foster anymore... I have anxiety disorders and these furbabies are my best friends....
I plan to get the other three girls spayed but the vet I only use is expensive even on discount day... And being on a disability support pension it takes forever to save up.... But even though they were born before the the date I plan to spay the three girls who can be spayed.... Yes I am a responsible pet owner even though the pets are more like family to me....

Megan Helmers > Megan Helmers

13 Oct 2016

And I'll add my little dog is registered too

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Megan Helmers

14 Oct 2016

Thanks for your comments Megan. There’s some good news for you at the end of this post, but first of all, it’s great to read that you’ve been so proactive in providing a safe environment for your cats, including your outdoor exercise enclosure. It’s also great to hear that your older cats have already been desexed. Cats, as you’ve pointed out, can be fantastic companions, and with proper care and management will live safe, long and happy lives. It sounds like your cats are very much loved and that you embrace the “good cat owner” message.

The draft desexing regulations we’re now discussing are being brought in to address a significant problem in the community – unwanted litters.

Each year, unwanted litters contribute to an appalling number of cats and kittens that are euthanised in pounds and shelters. Unwanted litters are a direct contributor to the problem of semi owned and homeless cats that prey on native animals and spread disease among the owned cat population. In light of this, the state government, with the support of local government, a citizens’ jury, vets, animal welfare groups and other organisations, decided to act and bring in mandatory desexing and microchipping.

In addition to reducing the problem of unwanted litters, desexing is also shown to reduce the risk of some cancers, so there’s some health benefits to consider too.

When it comes to the law, we need to make laws for all South Australians. But, exemptions are proposed for cats and dogs on medical grounds.

It’s worth discussing this with your vet and it’s important to note that the National Desexing Network offers discounted desexing for those in genuine financial need. You can find them with a simple google search.

Now for some good news for you. Under the proposed new regulations, only cats born after 1 July 2018 would need to be desexed, so your fur babies are automatically exempt from the proposals. They will however need to be microchipped by that date, but this, as you know is a safe procedure that could help reunite you with your cats in the unlikely event they wander from the house.

Hope that helps
Dog and Cat Team

georgy elverd

11 Oct 2016

I own what is classed as a giant breed of dog.for these dogs to grow properly into their growth plates in there leg joints,breeders advise not to desex under 2years of age.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > georgy elverd

12 Oct 2016

Thank you for your additional comment Georgy. Under the new legislation, limited exemptions may be granted if desexing would pose an undue risk to the health or adversely affect the growth, development or wellbeing of the dog or cat and provided this is supported by a registered veterinary surgeon. The Dog and Cat Management Board will also have the power to grant exemptions on a case-by-case basis.
If you haven't already done so, be sure to complete our online survey so that your comments are recorded. A report will be posted on YourSAy once the consultation closes and all comments have been analysed, so check back later in November / early December.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

georgy elverd

11 Oct 2016

Hi,i would really like that all dogs must be leashed when in public,exept for dog parks.we walk our dog every night and sometimes come across unleashed dogs that run up to us and our dog,we have a nervous dog,and its frighting for him.Also sum people that dont havd a dog,dont want dogs rushing up to them,it can be scary to people who are not use to dogs.Iv also many years ago had my old dog attacked by a unleashed dog and it was one of the most terrifying experiences i hav ever been through,and my dog was bitten badly.So i dont know how you would police it,but i do think it should be made law that all dogs in public should be leashed=safe for everyone and dogs.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > georgy elverd

12 Oct 2016

Thank you for your comment Georgy. It is already an offence for a person to allow a dog to wander at large (ie. dogs must be under effective control). Recent changes to the Dot and Cat Management Act 1995 will see a significant increase in this and all other penalties and expiation fees. We have also made it easier for councils to impose 'Control Orders' on dangerous, menacing and nuisance dogs. These changes will act as an incentive for dog owners to take more responsibility for their pets and a significant deterrent to those who might otherwise fail to control their dog.
It is likely that the new expiation fees will come into effect from 1 July 2017. The Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 is enforced by council Animal Management Officers and it is their role to issue expiation notices. You may like to contact your local council Animal Management Officer who can provide advice on the investigation and enforcement of these laws.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Lynda Harris

04 Oct 2016

Why can you not make the laws equal, all dogs need to be registered why not all cats. Why can it not be enforced more about cat owners letting there cats wander here there and everywhere, if a dog wanders it gets taken to the pound if caught, and generally you have to pay to have them returned. Cats can do as they please, it is wrong the you have to put up with up peoples cats in your yard doing there business, fighting and making that horrible sound outside your windows at night. Wake up government and do something right for a change. I am not a cat hater I have one myself, she does not wander or cause a nuisance to my neighbours, she is in doors or has a outside in her cat run.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Lynda Harris

04 Oct 2016

Thank you for your question Lynda. Changes to the state's dog and cat laws have been a long time coming, and the draft Regulations being discussed are the culmination of a Parliamentary Select Committee, Citizens' Jury, expert advice and public consultation. Cat registration was discussed during that process but a lack of critical support meant the government chose to stick with the status quo, where individual councils can decide whether cats should be registered or not.
With regard to your question as to equality before the law, amendments to the Dog and Cat Management Act which was passed in Parliament earlier this year, go a long way towards making dogs and cats equal, with references to 'cats' now found throughout the amended Act (this was a legacy issue given the laws started out as the Dog Control Act). Mandatory microchipping and desexing, which will be phased in over the coming years, will mean cat owners must take a much more active role in managing their pets for the benefit of the whole community. Importantly, desexing is shown to reduce anti-social behaviours in cats, including spraying and fighting, and will also lead to a reduction in the number of semi-owned and wandering cats breeding in the community and contributing to the problems you have listed.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Bernice Wuttke

29 Sep 2016

Re timeframes for registering microchip details:- I would consider that prior to any animals changing hands that microchipping be done prior to the change of ownership.
Re exemptions from microchipping and desexing:- There should not be any exemptions for microchipping and microchipping to be done before change of ownership. Re desexing:- Give someone an inch and they will take a yard. Unless they are Registered Breeders and squeaky clean from their previous dealings of breeding, all other animals should be desexed.
Re breeding of dogs & cats:- The vision of the elimination of backyard breeders & puppy farms is the goal that was trying to be achieved when the Citizen's Jury made their recommendations. All persons breeding dogs and cats should have a registration number no loopholes!
Re information required for advertisements:- Whatever source people are using to advertise the sale of dogs and cats, they should all have a registration number that is to be shown on the advert. No number - no advertisement!
Re information provided to the buyer:- When purchasing puppies, all information of the breed of dogs mated should be stated. Information regarding the vet contact that the seller has had in regards to these puppies. Vaccination certificates handed over, and any other relevant information that is to do with the puppy/dog. Microchipping information and to advise the new owners of the requirement of changing the owner history into their name etc.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Bernice Wuttke

30 Sep 2016

Thank you for your comments Bernice. I hope you have completed the online survey so that your comments are recorded. A report will be posted on YourSAy once the consultation closes and all comments have been analysed, so be sure to check back later in November / early December.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Bernice Wuttke > Bernice Wuttke

30 Sep 2016

Yes I have.

Sally Legg > Bernice Wuttke

01 Oct 2016

Why does wanting to keep a dog entire past the age of 6 months make you irresponsible. I am not a registered breeder but actively compete in dog sports and have two dogs from registered breeders. My current oldest girl was desexed at 14 months having had one season to ensure correct maturity and closure of growth plates in a medium breed. My current youngster is nearly 2 and about to have her third season before being desexed. She is also on mains register with ANKC and could be shown if I desired and will in fact be shown when she is desexed on the neuter register. Why should I not be entitled to keep my dogs entire for as long as I want. I am certainly not about to start having a litter of puppies - if you spend enough time in the dog world you know how much heartache and expense is involved. Its not anything you wish to enter into lightly. Plenty of research out there which supports the need for hormones to ensure correct structure and reduce risk of health related issues. This is of particular importance in highly active breeds.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Bernice Wuttke

04 Oct 2016

Thank you for joining the discussion Sally. The proposals regarding the mandatory desexing age are based on significant public consultation including expert advice of vets and breeders, a Parliamentary Select Committee and Citizens' Jury process. The age was decided on as a safe way to best reduce the chance of unwanted litters, which directly contribute to the appalling number of dogs euthanized in council pounds and animal shelters each year. Desexing is also shown to have health benefits, including the reduced risk of some cancers. If you wish to keep your dogs entire, you can register as a breeder with the Dog and Cat Management Board for a minimal fee (as you are a member of ANKC, it is recommended this will be at a significantly discounted rate). You do not need to be an active breeder for this but it does require you to keep some extra information and inform the Board if your dog is used to breed. You can also apply to get a desexing exemption on medical grounds from a vet but these are quite specific.
I hope this information has been of help.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Karen Barone

27 Sep 2016

Why doesn't the laws address advertising of pets? Some people honestly believe dogs such as cavoodles, labradoodles are pure breds and the traits of the dog is guaranteed when in reality a cross bred dog could be more like one parent, or a mixture so depending on the parents you might not get what you envisaged with regards to size, fur, temperament or look. They are provided with papers by the breeder to complement the deception that the cross bred is breed which will meet specified breed standards. I am concerned as I have been told by people their labradoodles is hyper allergenic as it is a labradoodle, not understanding that the dog might not have inherited the poodle fur it may have more Labradors like fur. I have no problems with someone stating the breed crosses as that is honest.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Karen Barone

27 Sep 2016

Great question Karen. The proposed Regulations will require sellers to provide information in all advertisements for the sale of dogs and cats. Additionally, at the point of sale, the seller must provide the buyer with information on vaccinations, desexing details, microchip numbers, breeder registration information plus information on significant veterinary treatment. Note that the reforms are not intended to prohibit the sale of non-pedigree dogs. We encourage you to suggest other information that should be disclosed so please complete our online survey so your comments are recorded.
The Dog and Cat Management Board encourages prospective pet owners to ask lots of questions before they purchase and to make informed choices. The Board also produces a range of information to help people choose the right dog for their family and household. This will be updated when the new Regulations are in place. Check out Gooddog.com for details.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Rachel Burke

26 Sep 2016

Why have you removed the reduction in council registration for 'trained' dogs. This surely is counterproductive to promoting responsible pet ownership.

Government Agency

Landscape Reform Team > Rachel Burke

27 Sep 2016

Thank you for opening the discussion Rachel. Only a small percentage of dog owners claim the training rebate, in fact only 7% of all dog registrations in the 2015/16 year claimed the rebate. The discount received from the training rebate is a very small dollar amount.
Councils will have the discretion to set their own registration fees, so if a council believes that a training discount is a good incentive to increase responsible dog ownership, they could choose to implement a training discount in their local area.
I hope this answers your question adequately.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Bernice Wuttke > Rachel Burke

29 Sep 2016

In the intial stages of this, I was of the opinion that the Council Registration would cease and that it would be required of pet owners to update their microchip information yearly instead. Was that so? Regarding Council Dog Registration, is this still going to occur now? I am with a Dog Training Club and it surprised me to find that only 7% of all dog registrations in the year 2015/16 claimed the rebate. When speaking to prospective Members of the Club, we mention that the Council give a discount for dogs that have received their Certificate when trained. They in turn have mentioned that receiving a discount for doing so was one of the reasons they outlayed money to come and train their dog.

Government Agency

30 Sep 2016

Thank you for your question Bernice. The Citizens' Jury, the Dog and Cat Management Board and the South Australian Government all carefully considered replacing the council dog/cat registration system with microchip information as a dog or cat's 'unique identifier'.
However, there are several reasons this did not happen. At the moment, all the microchips are sold by private companies; they are implanted by vets (and others) but the information is stored on the databases of private companies. Councils don't receive any revenue from the microchipping arrangements and they don't own the information. Sometimes they don't even have access to this information.
The revenue received from dog registration fees allows councils to provide a range of animal management services, including the employment of Animal Management Officers, who take wandering dogs off the streets and help return lost pets safely home. They operate pounds and look after the animals detained. These fees help to protect the community from dangerous dogs and allow councils to conduct investigations and impose penalties on those who do not manage their dog or cat responsibly.
These fees also help pay for registration databases of all of the dogs in each council area, providing an important tool for councils to manage their dog populations. Without the funds raised from dog registration fees, councils would be unable to provide the services outlined above. That would have a big negative impact on community amenity and safety.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team

Bernice Wuttke > Rachel Burke

30 Sep 2016

Thankyou for the information. I wasn't overly impressed with the microchip situation.

Sally Legg > Rachel Burke

01 Oct 2016

I always found the trained dog discount frustrating because I have always had to argue that my ANKC titled dogs should be eligible for the discount because they are trained higher then the standard required under the discount but never been granted if I haven't put them through basic classes at a club. Totally wrong if you ask me.

Government Agency

04 Oct 2016

Thanks for your comment Sally. I hope you have completed the online survey so that your comments are recorded. A report will be posted on YourSAy once the consultation closes and all comments have been analysed, so be sure to check back later in November / early December.

Regards
Dog and Cat Team