Do you have a comment about the draft Surrogacy Bill 2018?

Hello and welcome to the discussion forum on the draft Surrogacy Bill 2018. Are there any particular parts of the Bill you would like to comment on?

Download the Bill.

Leave a comment

Peter Murray

29 Nov 2018

I agree with the issue of birth mother verse surrogate mother.
I think the bill should be passed with minimal amendment.

Government Agency

Strategic Communications, Attorney-General's Department > Peter Murray

03 Dec 2018

Thanks for your feedback Peter. Your comments will be used to inform the new Bill.

Don't have an account? Register here.

Belinda H

21 Nov 2018

Could you please clarify the meaning of 'birth mother'? In many States, the meaning of birth mother is that of the biological mother i.e., the contributor of genetic material. It is not the same as surrogate or surrogate mother.
This appears to be a hang over from Adoption that does not travel well. The surrogate, whilst giving birth, is not a genetic contributor and therefore, not the birth mother. Please do not confuse the language across the spectrum. (s25 as an example).
Further regarding s25(d), why would a new born have a prior known name that needs to be altered? There should be no name and the child should be subjected to the same 60 day application of name rules as any other child. The surrogate's name should not attach to the child and she should have no right to apply any name whatsoever without a Court order.

Government Agency

Strategic Communications, Attorney-General's Department > Belinda H

26 Nov 2018

Thanks for your comments Belinda.

We appreciate hearing from people about all aspects of the draft Bill.

The government is committed to laws that best meet the needs of South Australian families and your comments will be used to inform the new Bill.

Don't have an account? Register here.