Ridleyton Greek Home for the Aged (RGHA)
What does this organisation do?
The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia (GOCSA) provides services for the Greek community of SA. Ridleyton Greek Home for the Aged (RGHA) is one of these service centres. RGHA is a 120 bed facility with full allied health services, including: Occupational Therapists (OT's), Physio Therapists (PT), a Social Worker (SW), a Podiatrist, a Speech Pathologist (SP) and a Dietitian as well as a full medical team including Nurses, General Practitioners (GP) and a Dentist. Students are encouraged to inquire about placement opportunities. RGHA supports residents through promoting positive ageing, well-being and empowerment, aiding them to achieve their goals.
GOCSA provides a number of services to external organisations.
These include but are not limited to -
1. Greek Union of Aged Pensioners of Thebarton & Suburbs - Federation of Hellenic Associations for Pensioners & Aged SA Inc.
2. The Cypriot Aged & Pensioners Association of SA Inc.
3. The Greeks of Egypt and Middle East Society of SA Inc.
4. Colossus Panrhodian Society.
5. Pan-Ikarian Brotherhood of Australia Inc.
1. Cathedral of Archangels Michael & Gabriel
2. Assumption of virgin Mary
3. Saint Nicholas
4. Saints Constantine & Helen
5. Chapel of Saints Anargyroi
* We also work with the Women’s auxiliary group associated with each of these churches.
As a community based organisation, we also work closely with other like- minded organisations providing services to multicultural communities. We have been discussing our project with disability organisations within South Australia, as our aim is to offer our services to wheelchair users or those with declined mobility, as this specialised equipment is not readily available in local gyms.
RGHA works with the mentioned groups by offering (through our onsite physiotherapy clinic) rehabilitation sessions, group based exercises, education on a range of topics aimed at improving knowledge and understanding of the ageing process, how to keep healthy, wellness and the services available. RGHA provides a regular newsletter with health related information (Greek and English) and numerous social media sites with articles uploaded. RGHA has links to and representation on local radio stations which provides the opportunity to inform listeners on the benefits of positive ageing. Education and continuous improvement is a key component of healthy ageing and something RGHA holds key to promote healthy lifestyles and wellness.