Fox Creek Mountain Bike Park Trail ExtensionSubmitted by Brad Slade
With our “Fund My Idea” grant we would continue the development of mountain bike trails and facilities in the “Fox Creek MTB Park”. The new trails and facilities are targeted toward developing skills for intermediate (12 to 18 yrs) riders while reducing the need for them to ride on road or non-sanctioned riding areas. The “Fox Creek MTB Park” is located in the “Cudlee Creek Forest”, which lies a short distance from Lobethal and Lenswood.
We, the "Human Projectiles" (Human Projectile MTB Club Inc.), have been working to improve and develop mountain bike facilities in this area since 2004. We have worked with BikeSA, ForestrySA, other mountain bike groups and local businesses to successfully deliver a variety of projects. Our focus is on delivering mountain bike facilities for families and beginners as well as advanced riders. An intermediated trail would be used by the broader mountain biking and recreational community and allow beginners of all ages to develop skills while enjoying the outdoor environment. Bench setting and an adventure play ground will also offer recreational options for family members who do not wish to ride. Mountain Bike parks are an internationally proven drawcard for local and international tourists. They provide important physical and mental health benefits to users and benefit the local economy.
Problem you're solving
The Fox Creek MTB Park trail network currently attracts more than 15,000 riders/year and is recognized as one of the premier mountain bike facilities in South Australia. ForestrySA and BikeSA have developed a strategic plan for the park and anticipate that the number of riders and walkers will increase substantially as the facilities improve over time. International, interstate and South Australian visitors all bring financial and employment benefits to the Adelaide Hills region, local businesses have also noticed an increase in trade in recent times.
A number of mountain bike events are held in this forest throughout the year for Downhill, Cross Country and Enduro disciplines which attract riders from all over South Australia and Australia, the intermediate trail development will encourage family participation at these events as well providing a trail that could be used by families 7 days a week.
The Human Projectiles also believe as do BikeSA and ForestrySA that the Intermediate Trail, along with the recently built trails will attract a much larger and broader cross section of mountain bike riders to the state and Adelaide Hills region and overseas tourists who wish to experience the foods and wines of the region as well as world class mountain biking facilities.
As with other project work we have performed at Fox Creek we will:
• Establish a working party with BikeSA, ForestrySA and local businesses.
• Project Management will be performed by the working party
• Engage a local contractor to perform the trail design approx. $1500
• Engage a local machinery hire company to provide equipment for trail construction approx. $4500
• Engage a local professional trail builder to construct the trail approx. $4500, the Human Projectile’s will also contribute a considerable amount of time trail construction
• The working party will develop a plan for the development of signage and promotion
• Local firms will be used to construct the signage - $5000 to enhance and promote these facilities for local, interstate and international use, signage is crucial to the promotion of the MTB park.
• Signage will be installed by the Human Projectiles
• Promotional material will be developed by the working group $2000
• Tables and benches will be purchased and installed by the Human Projectiles $1500
Cost estimates are based on the current work we have for the Fox Creek Children's/Beginners trail which is under construction
Estimated funding required