"the centre"Submitted by John Simpson
The project is to refurbish and renovate an undercover area owned by St. Paul's Lutheran Homes and leased by Hills Community Options Inc. as a woodworking centre so that it can be upgraded and enlarged. The woodworking centre would then be available to wider sections of the community and run on a social enterprise model involving the manufacture, marketing and sales of quality hand made wooden objects. Any surpluses derived will be put into replacing materials used and improvements to the site.
Problem you're solving
This idea is important as it:
- delivers a renovated and larger venue for persons wishing to become involved with making wooden furniture, toys etc.
- expands and creates new opportunities for persons with a disability, the aged and the general community to become involved in making and selling wooden furniture and toys in a sustainable and financially independent way.
- this project will become a market, or feed into a market, for persons wishing to build or buy handmade wooden objects which will link in with the tourist focus for Hahndorf.
- this project will deliver a venue which will allow for the growth and development of an existing micro-enterprise into a viable social enterprise accessible to large sections of the Adelaide Hills community.
- the project will create a venue where persons with a disability, the aged and the general community can meet and work together to manufacture a variety of wooden products for sale.
The project is to refurbish an undercover area so that an expanded and more appropriate facility is delivered to the Adelaide Hills community.
- This involves laying a concrete slab and enclosing two open bays which presently exist but are under-utilised. A new entrance to the facility would be built providing for the display of finished or near completed projects.
- The existing toilet area and hot water service would be improved and a heating and cooling system installed.
- Electrical wiring and lighting would be upgraded.
- If finances permit specialist wood working tools would be bought and installed.
Oversight and project management for the construction phase of the project would be undertaken by Hills Community Options Inc. (HCO) through the General Manager Organisational Development.
- internal cladding and painting will be done by HCO.
- St Paul's and HVLSD will offer volunteer support and participants who will be using the facility.
Estimated funding required