What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and your use of the YourSAy website.
Everyone who has internet access is able to browse the YourSAy website. However, if you would like to participate in the interactive components of the website such as commenting, filling out forms or surveys, voting on issues, or any other participation tool, you need to register.
If you are a registered user, we may collect the following information:
- Your full name, gender, post code, email address, phone number and age bracket;
- Your username and password for the YourSAy website;
- Parent consent if you are under 18;
- Your preferred categories or topics of interest in government decision making;
- Information about whether you subscribe to our newsletter and any other optional communication from us;
- Information that you post on the YourSAy website;
- Any other information that you submit through your interaction with the YourSAy website, which could include but is not limited to: votes, comments, ideas, survey responses, poll responses;
- Any other information requested through the registration form.
If you are a registered user for the YourSAy community panel, we may also collect the following additional information:
- if you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- languages other than English that you speak at home
- if you have any disabilities
- if you use any assistive technology to access the internet
- your highest level of education
How will we use your personal information?
We will use the information about you:
- to administer the YourSAy website and your account on the website;
- to identify when you sign into your account on the YourSAy website;
- to send you newsletters and information about other things that may interest you, but only when you have agreed to us sending you this information or when the information is necessary to assist with the administration of the YourSAy website;
- to respond to queries that you have contacted us about;
- to attribute content that you post on the YourSAy website;
- to analyse the use of the YourSAy website;
- to inform policy decisions of the South Australian Government; and
- for any other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information.
We will protect and handle your personal information in accordance with the South Australian Government’s Information Privacy Principles. If we need to share your personal information with a third-party, then we will ensure that we comply with the Information Privacy Principles. A copy of the Information Privacy Principles can be obtained from the South Australian Department of the Premier and Cabinet’s website: http://dpc.sa.gov.au/privacy.
The information that you submit through the YourSAy website may be provided in de-identified form to researchers at the University of Adelaide or other universities. The information will be used for research purposes to evaluate and improve YourSAy and other public engagement processes and may be published in an academic journal. By submitting your information to the YourSAy websites, you consent to being involved in the research. No information identifying you will be provided to the researchers.
We monitor the activity of the YourSAy website. We collect information in the form of routine traffic analysis using Google Analytics, including information about the pages you visit on the website and how you interact with those pages. In particular, we collect the following information about all users of the YourSAy website:
- A record of your visit to the YourSAy website;
- The date and time of your visit to the YourSAy website;
- The pages that you access on the YourSAy website;
- The documents that you download from the YourSAy website;
- The previous website that you visited; and
- The type of browser that you used.
All of the information collected through Google Analytics is completely depersonalised which means that we cannot identify who is doing the actions that we are monitoring. We will not attempt to identify you except where we are legally compelled to do so.
We intend to use the data that we collect using Google Analytics to improve the service we provide to you and other users.
What’s publicly available and what’s not?
Not all of the information that you provide us will be able to be viewed by other users of the YourSAy website. Some information that you post on the website will be able to be viewed by everyone who uses the website. Posts on the website will contain your login/screen name. However, we will not disclose the following to other users:
- Your password for the YourSAy website;
- Your post code, email address, phone number and age bracket;
- Any information obtained using Google Analytics;
- Communications that you send to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the About page on the YourSAy website; and
- Information that you submit on the YourSAy websites where the particular webpage specifies that the information will be kept confidential.
Is the information that we collect accurate?
We try to ensure that the information that we collect is accurate. However, we need your help with this. If information that you have provided us is no longer accurate, please contact us at email@example.com so that we can update our records.
When will we contact you?
We may send you information and announcements from time to time by email or by social media. We may also contact you on your telephone.
You can choose to receive newsletters and other updates from us by email. If you choose this but then change your mind, you can unsubscribe at any time by following the process set out in the emails that we send you.
There are some other important matters that you should know about:
- You should note that there are inherent risks associated with transmission of information via the internet. You should make your own assessment of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not to use the YourSAy website.
- The information that you submit through the YourSAy website may be transferred to countries other than Australia.
If you have any questions, feedback or complaints, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org